Learn how to make Sushi
Always wanted to make sushi yourself but didn't even know where to begin?
Sushi is not only good for you, but it tastes great! The best sushi chefs in the world are happy to show others how to make sushi because of this. Here at Sensations, we give courses on how to make it. Just contact us and we can give you all the details of the next coruse. Below is a quick introduction on how exactly sushi is made:
Preparing the rice
- Be aware that special sushi (short grained ) rice should be used.
- Rice must be properly washed and cleaned prior to cooking as can be demonstrated by our sushi chef.
- Once the rice has finished cooking, it can be left off heat in the pot with the lid on for up to 15 minutes.
- Add Sushi-su (sushi vinegar ) to the rice and mix properly.
This term refers to rolled sushi, where a filling of fish or vegetables is enclosed by vinegared rice, and wrapped in toasted nori seaweed. Main varieties include the thin hosomaki, the thicker futomaki, which comes in two ways, inside out, where the nori is on the inside, and rice on the outside and then normally (nori on outside).
Futo Maki Inside out!
- Place sheet of Nori (seaweed) on chopping board, rough side up.
- Keep your hands moist.
- Rice must be carefully and evenly spred across the nori.
- Nori is then flipped, topping added and the Futo maki is then rolled correctly.
- Sushi is an art and not something that is easy to explain online. Why no t try our sushi lessons or for those to love to eat – pop in and leave the hard work to us.
- Place smaller sheet of Nori on the sushi mat (on top of a chopping board).
- Take a ball of rice and spread evenly across the Nori.
- Don’t turn the sheet over , spread the ingredients evenly across the middle of the rice.
- Using the matt, fold over the bottom of the nori to meet the other side, leaving the flap free (With your finger, wet the flap
- Using the mat , roll the hoso maki forward tightly, enabling the flat to hold the roll together.